Yelverton Golf Club
Golf Links Road
Yelverton
Devon PL20 6BN
E-mail: secretary@yelvertongolf.co.uk

 
Telephone: 01822 852824
Secretary: Ext 100
Bar: Ext 104
Catering: Ext 105
Pro Shop: Ext 106
 

Home

Latest News

Calendar

The Course

Membership

Visitors

Secretary

Bar & Catering

Club Captains

Competitions

Professional

History

Greenkeeper

Useful Links

Juniors

Veterans

Matches


A brief history of Yelverton Golf Club

1904

Club formed, playing on a 9-hole course extending south-west from the present club-house.

1910/11
A further 9 holes are constructed, the ‘Higher Down Course’, still to the west of Golf Links Road. An inaugural match was played between J H Taylor and Harry Vardon, with local Professionals Braund and Bickle. See below for the golf balls used.
1915
Half of the course reverts to agricultural use, in aid of the War effort.
1919
Agreement signed with The Maristowe Estate and the Roborough Commoners Association for a course on Roborough Down. Herbert Fowler, designer of Walton Heath and many other courses, is commissioned to design the course – essentially the course in play now.
1925
New clubhouse opened, the one currently in use.
1939 – 1945
World War II; half of course closed for duration.
1949
Fowler’s 8th, 9th and 10th holes are abandoned, and the present 16th, 17th and 18th holes are introduced.
1994
Major refurbishment of clubhouse undertaken.
2001
Foot and Mouth epidemic closes the course for 10 weeks.
2004
Club celebrates its Centenary with competitions in June, and Dinner and Dance on 4th December.
2006
Club hosts the English Golf Union Seniors Amateur Championships.

These are the golf balls used by JH Taylor and Harry Vardon at the official opening of the course in 1911. They played an exhibition match with the two local professionals Braund and Bickle.

Taylor and Vardon were half of the dominant force in world golf at the time known as the Triumvirate, winning ten major championships between them. Today's equivalent of Tiger Woods and Padraig Harrington coming for a game!

JH Taylor was born in Northam and started his career as a caddie at Royal North Devon.