Roborough Down, Dartmoor
Yelverton Golf Club was formed in 1904 with a 9-hole course extending south-west from the present clubhouse. In 1910/11 a further 9 holes were constructed, still to the west of Golf Links Road, on what became known as the Higher Down Course.
During World War One half of that course was returned to agricultural use in aid of the war effort and then, at the end of the war, an agreement was signed between the Club, the Commoners and the landowner (Sir Henry Lopes) for the ‘laying out and use for play of an eighteen hole golf course’ on Roborough Down.
The land which the course roams was once owned by Sir Francis Drake and today is owned by the Lopes family as part of the Maristow Estate.